A lot of my friends were so confused when I was tweeting six times a week the #sisson3280 attached to every tweet. The hashtag was my class hashtag for my public relations and social media class. Here are a few things I learned:
- Blogging takes effort and planning. It isn’t easy to throw together a blog last minute every week. I have a new found respect for bloggers and their discipline.
- I love Twitter!!! I used to never get on Twitter. This class showed me all the awesome things about Twitter and created a new found love for me and the platform.
- Social media is work and effort. A lot of people tack on “social media management” to job descriptions for communications jobs. Social media in itself, is a job. Managing all of the various platforms takes a lot of time and work ethic and it deserves to be appreciated as such.
- Snapchat, Snapchat, Snapchat. There is so much you can do with Snapchat! My teacher alone created office hours and a scanvenger hunt through Snapchat. The options are endless and they can be integrated into a business plan.
- You have to be able to measure EVERYTHING. What good is a post if you don’t know how beneficial it is? Or if you are even reaching your target audience? Take the time to learn metrics and analytics.
- If you work in social media, Hootsuite is your friend. Hootsuite is there for the purpose of making your life easier. Use it.
I had an AMAZING semester with Dr. Sisson, as usual. I learned a lot about social media, time management and strategy. This class was the foundation to an extensive learning process about social media alone.